Blog Tour + Author's Interview + Review: The Book of Bart by Ryan Hill


About The Book

Title: The Book of Bart
Author: Ryan Hill
Genre: Paranormal
Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: Curiosity Quills Press
Release Date: May 22, 2014
Links: Goodreads

Only one thing is so powerful, so dangerous that Heaven and Hell must work together to find it: the Shard of Gabriel.

With a mysterious Black Cloud of Death hot on the shard’s trail, a desperate Heaven enlists the help of Bart, a demon who knows more about the shard than almost anyone. Six years ago, he had it in his hands. If only he’d used it before his coup to overthrow the devil failed. Now, he’s been sprung from his eternal punishment to help Samantha, an angel in training, recover the shard before the Black Cloud of Death finds it.

If Bartholomew wants to succeed, he’ll have to fight the temptation to betray Samantha and the allure of the shard. After an existence full of evil, the only way Bart can get right with Hell is to be good.


Review
This book is hilarious. I don't think I have ever read a book where so many random things happen so often and so suddenly that its mind boggling, yet you will not feel disconnected. Everything connects and  flows to well... Ok wait, let me take a breath! Wow! What did just happen?? ;) In short its amazing.

An archangel and a demon teamed up to find someone who  has been after that Shard of Gabrielle. The only trouble is that no one has a clue about this mysterious person. Who will stop at nothing to get the Shard. Along the way a demon hunter, Josh, joins their little group. If he could keep himself from trying to kill Bartholomew then may be they will succeed in their quest (three can be a crowd). Together they faced a number of enemies and finally the dark shadow of death itself.

I loved the character of demon (Bartholomew). He becomes a demon after he tried and failed to take over the world and now he has to work with an archangel, Sam, who doesn't know how to have a little fun. But that did not stop him from stirring up trouble whenever possible.
All the side characters were great too and Lucifer himself makes an appearance... This is one book you do not want to miss, so if you haven't read it go read it now.

P.S. The language in this book can be crude so it's not for people who get offended easily.

Interview with Author
1. Tell us a little about yourself and your background? 
THE BOOK OF BART is my first novel. I've been writing in some form or another for years. I even moved out to Los Angeles after grad school to try and become a screenwriter. Obviously, that didn't work out, but I never stopped writing.

2. Can you tell us something about your writing journey, like when did you write your first book or how did you get your first book published? 
TBOB is my first book, but it took a heck of a journey to get to this point. I've probably written five novels overall, and the first three were just trash. Then, I wrote a zombie novel, which is slated for release Oct. 13 from Curiosity Quills, and I noticed my writing took a massive jump forward. I actually wrote TBOB after that one. After completion, I did the usual, querying agents, entering contests, and pitching in person at conferences. I got nibbles, but nothing concrete. I came across CQ in a Twitter contest after pitching TBOB on a whim. It was really just coincence and dumb luck that got me published!

3. What genre are your books? Can you tell us what draws to this genre? 
I feel my wheelhouse is in silly paranormal, like Christopher Moore novels. That's my favorite genre to read, so it makes sense its my favorite genre. I also try to stretch my muscles and write things out of my comfort zone. DEAD NEW WORLD, the zombie novel, is very, very dark, something I don't have a lot of experience in, for example.

4. Do you ever get writer’s block? How do you deal with it? 
Everyone gets writer's block at one point or another. Sometimes I'll try writing in a different spot, like a coffee shop, other times I'll get the sort of crippling writer's block that makes you put away the manuscript for a couple of weeks and work on something else. A nice, strong drink also helps with writer's block. I can't remember who said it, but one really good piece of advice is if you have writer's block, change the weather in the scene. It works, because it makes you think of things you wouldn't otherwise have thought of.

5. For your own reading, do you prefer ebooks or traditional paper/hard back books? 
Both. Nothing will ever replace the experience of reading a traditional book, but with so many, I only have so much room for bookcases, so its nice to have them stored on my Kindle.

6. What are you writing these days? What are your hopes for the future? 
At the moment I'm not writing anything, unfortunately. I'm working on getting ready for the TBOB release and finishing up editing a new manuscript called THE CONCH SHELL OF DOOM.

7. How can readers discover more about you and your work? 
They can visit me on Twitter @J_Ryan, facebook.com/ryanhillwrites, andryanhillwrites.com.

8. What do you like to do when you’re not writing? What are your hobbies? 
Writing is my main hobby. When I'm not writing novels, I'm usually writing film reviews/columns for screeninvasion.com.

9. Who is you favourite author? 
Christopher Moore. He's so silly.

10. Any message for your readers or aspiring writer or a public message for all of us. 
Hm. Most people have the same advice for aspiring writers (all of which is true), but everyone has a different path to getting published. Write what you love, not what's hot at the moment, be prepared for a longer road than you could possibly expect, and never give up.


About The Author

Growing up, Ryan Hill used to spend his time reading and writing instead of doing homework. This resulted in an obsession with becoming a writer, but also a gross incompetence in the fields of science and mathematics. A graduate of North Carolina State University, Ryan has been a film critic for over five years. He lives in Raleigh, NC, with his dog/shadow Maggie. Ryan also feels strange about referring to himself in the third person.

Links: Website + Goodreads + Twitter